Sunday, July 4, 2010
100% Whole Wheat Bread, finally
Always curious to make whole wheat bread as there is no guarantee what quality you get in India. There is a tendency to have 75% whole wheat and 25% maida in making whole wheat bread. Even 5 star hotels in Mumbai do this. For those who want to stay fit, this is a no no.
Cooking time: 20 minutes. Makes 12 small round bread pieces.
1 tablespoon dry yeast ( add 2 tbls water and cover for 10 minutes)
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp sal
2 tbls olive oil ( others use butter, but olive oil is the lesser evil)
1. Mix all the ingredients together. Then add enough water to make a dough.
2. Cover and keep aside for 30 minutes. Actually the longer the better, say 3 hours. The dough will double in size.
3. Shape the dough into 12 small round bread pieces and place on a baking tray.
4. Wait for 20 minutes as the dough will rise again.
5. Bake in a hot oven at 180C for 20 minutes.