Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My Fitness Journey

I thought i was fit. After running 8 marathons one seems to drift into this artificial world of thinking your just right. Upto Aug 08, i had been running 5 days a week which included a long run with my group of friends every Sunday.

We run on Sunday's and tend to run a minimum of 16k. Our group meets at 5.50 am and we start at 6 am. This is a routine i have been doing over the past 3 years when ever in town. During our Sunday morning runs, i met a friend who looked he had turned very fit over the past several months and the secret to that was clean eating. He had gone to Rujuta for nutrition guidance.

I always thought that if you exercise regularly, then one can get away with eating junk food. That's not the case as i discovered the art of eating correctly by meeting Rujuta Diwekar, a well known nutritionist. My whole approach to fitness was changed overnight. I stopped running 5 days a week and changed the schedule to gym 3 days a week and interval running once a week and a long run on the weekend.

In effect, i got about making my body stronger through weight training and was able to run faster as the end result. I had a lot more fun following this routine and got fitter by the day. In Aug 08, i weighed 74.8kg and had a body fat percentage of 28.6%. I was obese???

My nutritionist put me on having 10 meals a day instead of the 4 meals i was having. The trick was to eat every 2 hours and small quantities. In a years time, Aug 09 my body fat percentage had come down to 18.9% and i was feeling great. My weight was down to 65.8kg.

It's never too late to get fit. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment